Re: [unrev-II] The Webby Awards 2001: Doug Engelbart receives the lifetime achievement award

From: Peter Jones (ppj@concept67.fsnet.co.uk)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 13:43:25 PDT

  • Next message: John J. Deneen: "Re: [unrev-II] Do Bees Pay Each Other [WAS: Re: Engelbart and the self-organizing "collective intelligence" or "hive mind" concept]"

    Interesting paragraph in an article about Ray Tomlinson @
    http://www.forbes.com/asap/1998/1005/126.html

    It's become the new "kitchen table" for far-flung family members. To some
    it's as intimate a medium as the scented ink and writing paper of the
    Victorian era. But not all of this change and growth makes Tomlinson happy.
    He reminisces about the collegial chaos of the early years, and hates the
    flames, spams, and schemes that abuse the system's open nature. As email
    becomes rooted deeper and deeper in modern life, a certain structure -- for
    better or worse -- is an inevitable part of its explosive growth. Tomlinson
    acknowledges this without resentment. "But," he says a little wistfully, "I
    miss the anarchy."

    Peter