Re: [unrev-II] Microsoft XP

From: Henry van Eyken (vaneyken@sympatico.ca)
Date: Fri Aug 03 2001 - 11:11:12 PDT

    Eric Kierans, a prominent Canadian, who served as a minister in the Federal
    Government and as a professor of Economics at McGill University, wrote in his book,
    "Remembering" that government is essentially democratic and business essentially
    fascist. Let not fascism subjugate democracy. One thing those who wish to gain and
    remain in control is to keep a sharp eye on people and maintain extensive records
    on them.

    A major undertaking of the underground during Nazi occupation was to destroy the
    enemy's records on Dutch citizens so as to make it harder for the Nazis to ship off
    able men to Germany where they forced them to work in the factories of the Nazi
    war effort.

    No, I am not equating MS with the Nazis, not at all. But I am wary of the similar
    means employed for potential subjugation, especially by corporate powers that are
    at par with the powers of nations. It is well to be on guard.

    Henry

    Jack Park wrote:

    > I consider this page a valuable read:
    > http://web.siliconvalley.com/content/sv/2001/08/02/opinion/dgillmor/weblog/i
    > ndex.htm#xp
    >
    > "News, Views and a Silicon Valley Diary
    >
    > Posted on Thursday, August 2, 2001
    > Stop Windows XP Before It's Too Late
    > Now that the U.S. appeals court has reaffirmed its unanimous decision that
    > Microsoft abused its monopoly and stifled innovation, and now that it's
    > abundantly clear that Microsoft has no intention of modifying its behavior,
    > it's time for a difficult but necessary step.
    > The Justice Department and states must quickly seek an injunction blocking
    > the release of Windows XP, at least the version Microsoft is planning to ship.
    > This sounds like an extreme move, and in a way it is. But it's vital.
    > Otherwise we'll face even more extreme behavior from a company that keeps
    > demonstrating, in word and deed, utter contempt for the law and fair
    > competition."
    >
    > Two items from the page worth quoting:
    >
    > "Microsoft removed the Java environment from XP, thereby breaking thousands
    > of Web sites that use Java. XP customers will face endless downloads to
    > replace the functionality they'd come to expect.
    >
    > Microsoft will force XP users to sign up for its Passport authentication
    > system if they want to use key XP features. This is a dagger aimed at all
    > kinds of other businesses, and despite Microsoft's claims to the contrary
    > it represents a potentially massive threat to customers' security and privacy."
    >
    > I suspect that folks should familiarize themselves with what MS is up to,
    > and soon.
    >
    > While sitting at the Semantic Web workshop, chatting with Steve Newcomb,
    > one of the fathers of topic maps and HiTime, Ed Feigenbaum, one of the
    > fathers of expert systems stopped to admire my Sony laptop. He mentioned
    > that his was an older version and he couldn't wait to upgrade just as soon
    > as MS XP was released. He then walked across the courtyard to his office
    > in the William Gates Building on the Stanford campus.

    Small business owners...
    Tell us what you think!
    http://us.click.yahoo.com/vO1FAB/txzCAA/ySSFAA/IHFolB/TM