[unrev-II] National Constellation of Communities of Practice in the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning

From: Jack Park (jackpark@thinkalong.com)
Date: Sun Aug 05 2001 - 11:59:12 PDT

    Now, things are getting really interesting, and I am constantly amazed at
    the magnitude of that which I have not yet found on the web. This comes by
    way of Simon Buckingham Shum's (http://kmi.open.ac.uk/people/sbs/) report
    in the latest sigWeb about Computer-supported Collaborative Argumentation
    for Learning Communities; IBIS, as Eric Armstrong and I have been referring
    to collaborative argumentation tools.

    All of the papers in the conference he mentions can be found at
    http://sll-6.stanford.edu/CSCL99/paperindex.html, and the paper that lent
    the subject line can be found at http://kn.cilt.org/cscl99/A09/A09.HTM the
    abstract for which is
    "This paper describes the WebCenter, a CSCL tool being developed to support
    the Carnegie Academy for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Campus
    Program, an effort to strengthen local communities of practice performing
    the scholarship of teaching and learning and to create a national
    constellation of communities of practice that transverses them. The
    WebCenter provides a suite of groupware tools for the use of Campus Program
    participants. The WebCenter uses two analysis systems to act as social
    agents to stimulate activity. First, a collaborative filtering system is
    used to encourage national and cross-disciplinary collaboration between
    scholars of teaching and learning. Second, an automated peer-review and
    invitation system, based on the model of a consensus journal, is being
    developed for three purposes: to support the development of national
    consensus on the criteria for assessing the scholarship of teaching and
    learning, to stimulate the production of scholarship meeting these
    criteria, and to lend credibility to scholarship published on the WebCenter"

    Homepage for WebCenter is http://aahe.ital.utexas.edu

    I bring this paper to the front because, as the subject line (title of the
    paper) suggests, the paper is really about a NIC in Douglas Engelbart's OHS
    sense. It has been my opinion for some time now that education is, in
    reality, the bedrock use case for Networked Improvement infrastructures.

    Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption! Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide: "Securing Your Web Site for Business." Get it Now!
    http://us.click.yahoo.com/n7RbFC/zhwCAA/yigFAA/IHFolB/TM