Re: [unrev-II] CITRIS Update: Large-Scale Demonstration of Self-Organizing Wireless Sensor Networks

Date: Wed Sep 12 2001 - 17:25:55 PDT

• Next message: Alex Shapiro: "Re: [unrev-II] Semantic Community Web Portal"

At 11:58 AM 9/6/01 -0700, you wrote:

"Tackle the grand-challenge social problems of today. Create the architectures, the vision, and the fundamental technologies. Build prototype solutions and prove the value and importance of your work. Then industry will find a way to fill in the gaps and deliver the commercial versions of the technology.” - James Demmel, professor of computer science at UC Berkeley and chief scientist and associate director of CITRIS (Center for Information Technology Research in the Interest of Society)

OPEN-SOURCE TinyOS FUNDING AVAILABLE
    ... "$20 million this fiscal year with a $100 million commitment for the overall CITRIS project, promises major energy savings for the state and nation. Among the innovative ideas already emerging from CITRIS is that of outfitting buildings with wireless sensor networks to monitor energy use - technology that could save as much as $8 billion in California's energy costs and 5 million metric tons of carbon each year. ...

These guys seem right on.  This is exactly the sort of thing I am looking for.  What would really be nice is if I could partake without moving to California (from NJ), and enrolling in some university there.  But I guess that I'd even be willing to do this if I had to.

I'll have to research this one more.  Thanks.

--Alex
    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Community email addresses:
      Post message: unrev-II@onelist.com
      Subscribe:    unrev-II-subscribe@onelist.com
      Unsubscribe:  unrev-II-unsubscribe@onelist.com
      List owner:   unrev-II-owner@onelist.com

Shortcut URL to this page:
      http://www.onelist.com/community/unrev-II

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.0.0 : Wed Sep 12 2001 - 17:32:32 PDT