Re: [unrev-II] Awareness and Task Patterns; WAS: Ratings and Maleability

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@sun.com)
Date: Wed Sep 12 2001 - 16:44:46 PDT

    Great stuff, Peter. It is far-reaching, intellectually. I think the
    semantic web *is* the first step, in that it categorizes information in
    reflexive way. I suspect that "reflexive categorization" may well a
    critical
    component of, or possibly a deconstruction of, what we call
    "knowledge".

    Once information exists in knowlege-form, it becomes usable in a
    variety of ways. Since I the semantic web will take 10-12 years
    to come into being (with luck), I expect the procedures you are
    talking about to be in widespread use by around 2020, or so.

    One of own favorites is the identification of "isomorphic" systems.
    If an agent can run around looking for topic maps that are similar
    to the one we're working on -- especially if they have one or two
    subject references in common -- then possibly the system can bring
    to our attention work that we should be aware of, but would never
    have seen as complementary to our own efforts, due to surface
    differences.

    Peter Jones wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'd like to add a little something into the collective knowledge soup
    > here.
    > (Apologies if it's occurred somewhere in Doug E's work or elsewhere on

    > this
    > list and I just haven't seen it before.)
    >
    > I've been thinking about organizations, knowledge and CODIAK.
    > All of what Eric has written below is lovely providing folks know what

    > it is
    > they need to know at a given point in their work process. And there
    > are two
    > important questions in there that I think unrev tools need to answer
    > very
    > effectively indeed.
    > 1) What is knowledge?
    > 2) How do folks know that they know what they need to know in order to

    > make
    > decision D at point P and be as confident as they can that they are
    > making
    > the right call?
    >
    > I think these two questions are important because answering them
    > defines how
    > helpful an augmenting system can be.
    > To show what I mean, let me ask two more questions, corollaries of the

    > above:
    > i) If I haven't defined what knowledge means for the system, then I
    > might
    > just fill my Dynamic Knowledge Repository with everything that passes
    > my
    > eyes and then some, but how useful is it if all that stuff just sits
    > there
    > passively?
    > ii) Let's assume that you've cottoned on that a passive system is, um,

    > dull.
    > How do you teach the system to gather all the relevant knowledge it
    > can to
    > the right person/place at the right time at the right level,... etc.?
    >
    > And in order to answer those questions positively I'm going to
    > introduce
    > some concepts:
    > a) Awareness
    > b) Task/Process Patterns
    > c) Self-reforming Systems
    >
    > I'm going to suggest that human knowledge is really all about
    > awareness.
    > When you talk about what you know it falls into roughly four
    > categories:
    > A) Your current awareness of your environment (present perception).
    > B) Facts in your memory that you are pretty sure you can recall
    > accurately
    > (what, where).
    > C) Awareness of processes (patterns of praxis) in your memory ...ditto

    > (how,
    > why)
    > D) Your present range of capability within the environment of which
    > you are
    > aware; your 'sphere of influence'.
    >
    > (To say a little bit more about (C): Here I will regard a pattern of
    > praxis
> [...]

    Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption! Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide: "Securing Your Web Site for Business." Get it Now!
    http://us.click.yahoo.com/n7RbFC/zhwCAA/yigFAA/IHFolB/TM