[unrev-II] More thoughts on the current situation Fwd: Re: [announce] horror

From: Jack Park (jackpark@thinkalong.com)
Date: Thu Sep 13 2001 - 08:20:39 PDT

    We are seeing some interesting thoughts role around these days. Too bad we
    don't have an up-and-running DKR to collect all this stuff and analyze it...

    >From: Paul Werbos <pwerbos@nsf.gov>
    >Subject: Re: [announce] horror
    >Sender: owner-announce@isss.org
    >

    > >The concept of "prayer" includes the notion of the ability to appeal to an
    > >absolute authority. It implies an exclusive, or privileged relationship
    > >with that authority, which in turn implies special approval of the behavior
    > >of the individual who enjoys such a relationship. Whether one is praying
    > >for jihad, or for the end to jihad, one is participating in the same
    > >systemic behavior that has a divisive effect, and bolsters, with the
    > >feeling of special access to authoritative approval, the us-against-them
    > >attitude that perpetuates conflict everywhere on our planet.
    > >
    > >I plead with the systems community to move our discourse into a more
    > >neutral context. Each of us may pray as we will, in the privacy of our own
    > >minds. But in our public utterances, let us leverage the adaptive power of
    >
    >The real horror in this situation (in my personal opinion) is not with what
    >happened but with
    >what may happen. A critical role of systems theory, in the broadest sense,
    >is to evaluate the
    >larger future implications and possibilities -- and solutions, in some sense.
    >
    >In the past, many people have proposed, as a possible solution, that all
    >conversations between
    >more than one person should exclude all reference to any dimension of life
    >or emotion which cannot
    >be formulated in operational terms -- objective, value free propositions
    >which clearly do not invoke any sort of controversial
    >concept such as religion, prayer, meditation, intuition, and so on.
    >
    >I would argue that the intense support of this possible solution is one of
    >the many important causes behind what we are
    >seeing in the Middle East. More precisely, there are many people in that
    >area who fear that the driving economic power of the West
    >is committed to imposing that sort of tyrannical rule on the entire culture
    >of the world -- gradually and gently, for the most part,
    >but in a relentless, inexorable way. They fear that the tides of history
    >will wash over them and destroy them completely, if they do not
    >invoke some sort of desperate response, based on some combination of
    >catharsis and violence which comes from outside
    >the world of the trends which are threatening them.
    >
    >There is some real irony here. George Bush himself comes from an
    >assertively pastoral state, Texas (OK, it's cows instead of sheep, but big
    >deal...)...
    >which has asserted its own independence in many ways for many years...
    >which has a staunchly religious culture.. and was himself elected in great
    >part
    >as a reaction against a culture viewed as too cosmpolitan, secular and
    >corrupt... As with Aghanistan, the rest of the world views his pastoral
    >origins with skepticism because of fear that they have sold out too much to
> [...]

    Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption! Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide: "Securing Your Web Site for Business." Get it Now!
    http://us.click.yahoo.com/n7RbFC/zhwCAA/yigFAA/IHFolB/TM