Re: [unrev-II] Lucid Thinking

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@sun.com)
Date: Mon Sep 24 2001 - 19:53:48 PDT

    Say, yeah!-- Especially that part about having a place to argue. :__))

    It sounds to me like a combination of Traction categories and Topic
    Maps get you pretty far down the road -- but tacking on such stuff
    to a think written in Php is the problem...

    Jack Park wrote:

    > Well, it had to happen. I've been musing about implementing something
    > in
    > the Nexist theme that tries to learn as much as possible from my
    > experiences playing with Lucid Fried Eggs at http://www.memes.net
    >
    > What follows is perhaps longish (sorry), perhaps nonlinear (not
    > sorry), and
    > nonetheless the result of a flash of insight.
    >
    > What's fun with Lucid:
    >
    > 1- The personal portal-like feel and user (my) experience
    > 2- The reminders of what's been recently touched -- much like a neural
    > network
    > 3- The statistics showing what's most active
    > 4- The BLOG-like interface
    > 5- The Wiki-like interface
    >
    > What's missing with Lucid (my opinions only):
    >
    > 1- The ability to generate varying views (explained below)
    > 2- The ability to construct threads (in a manner about which I am
    > thinking)
    >
    > Why do I care about what's missing?
    >
    > 1- Because I'd like to snap a topic map views (which is partially
    > available
    > by way of TouchGraph) on threads (see 2)
    > 2- Because I'd like to be able to have IBIS-like discussions going on
    > all
    > over the Lucid network, without, say, having some particular IBIS-like
    > home
    > page at the a portal such as memes.net.
    >
    > How might I go about implementing what's missing?
    >
    > I am completely convinced that Lucid could be enhanced in the manner I
    > am
    > thinking. I would be glad to discuss such enhancements, but, I am also
    >
    > convinced that I am not a PHP programmer; I'm inclined to roam about
    > looking for various components already existing in Java and patching
    > them
    > together. For instance, there exist a couple of open source Java Wiki
    >
    > implementations that are, at once, simple and elegant, and capable of
    > mutating (excuse me: evolving under facilitation) in the desired
    > direction.
    >
    > What then?
    >
    > Each entry (as made by a user typing into the input text box) in a
    > given
    > page (Node) is, itself, an individual cell which can/should take on
    > properties not presently visible in Lucid. Consider the ability to
    > include
    > contextual links within each cell. A contextual link can be thought
    > of as
    > actually a cluster of links each associated with some context. Here
    > is
    > what I am thinking. I have often thought that the real meaning of
    > data,
    > any data, lies in that which we make of that data. It would be nice
    > have a tiny cell associated with some chunk of data (another cell)
    > that, in
    > effect, is labeled "Kilroy was here" and which, when opened, has some
    > comments by Kilroy related to Kilroy's experiences with that data.
> [...]
                                [Image]

    Pinpoint the right security solution for your company- Learn how to add 128- bit encryption and to authenticate your web site with VeriSign's FREE guide!
    http://us.click.yahoo.com/JNm9_D/33_CAA/yigFAA/IHFolB/TM