Re: [unrev-II] readings list for engelbart issues class?

From: Henry K van Eyken (vaneyken@sympatico.ca)
Date: Wed Oct 17 2001 - 17:03:54 PDT

    You will find a list of links to papers by Doug Engelbart at
    http://www.bootstrap.org/institute/bibliography.html

    You will find links to press articles at
    http://www.bootstrap.org/chronicle/press/press.html
    I happen to find these two interesting:
    http://www.bootstrap.org/chronicle/press/tiaobrian/index.html
    http://www.bootstrap.org/chronicle/press/9908__/dougengelbart_phtml.html

    And you may find especially interesting the book "Bootstrapping: Douglas Engelbart, Co-evolution, and the Origins of Personal
    Computing" by sociologist Prof. Thierry Bardini. It is published by Stanford University Press (2000) and costs $20 for the
    paperback.

    Henry K van Eyken

    cdent@burningchrome.com wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm in an information science graduate program. I have potential
    > support from faculty (if I can come up with an adequate description)
    > for a readings seminar to discuss the philosophical and theoretical
    > issues associated with Engelbart's ideas on augmentation.
    >
    > Where I need help is with possible readings for the class. We will
    > want both Engelbart's own writing as well as writing that he drew upon
    > in forming his ideas and writing that has drawn upon and expanded his
    > ideas (whether they acknowledge him or not).
    >
    > The class would be targeted at students with some exposure (perhaps to
    > "Augmenting Human Intellect: A Conceptual Framework") beyond "he
    > invented the mouse" but nothing too deep with a goal of creating a
    > high resolution context for the fundamental ideas.
    >
    > I can provide more detail on things if desired, but at this point I
    > think it might be more fulfilling to see where this takes us.
    >
    > Thanks for your input.
    >
    > --
    > Chris Dent <cdent@burningchrome.com> http://www.burningchrome.com/~cdent/

    Get your FREE VeriSign guide to security solutions for your web site: encrypting transactions, securing intranets, and more!
    http://us.click.yahoo.com/UnN2wB/m5_CAA/yigFAA/IHFolB/TM