[unrev-II] Fading Alternative

From: Rod Welch (rowelch@attglobal.net)
Date: Sat Nov 24 2001 - 16:30:25 PST

    Henry,

    Recently on 011113 I reviewed the Fleabyte website and offered comments on your
    excellent work. Today, this supplements the prior letter with additional
    perspective on your objective for Fleabyte to augment intelligence, as indicated
    in your letter on 011106.

    Experience shows you can get people to visit Fleabyte by making an argument in
    relation to something people care about based on daily email traffic, and citing
    evidence in a link to your web site that supports your argument. If, on
    clicking a link or two, people discover useful information at Fleabyte, for
    things they care about, they will continue clicking on some of your links and
    thereby be enriched by Fleabyte, to fulfill your goal. But, with millions,
    actually billions, of people using the Internet, the environment is so
    fragmented that there is no reason for people to proactively search out and use
    Fleabyte or anything else, because the competition for limited span of attention
    is overwhelming, as Eric worried recently.

    One of the biggest things people care about is themselves. So, if you refer
    folks to your website with valuable information they have promulgated and show
    how their brilliance, which they have likely forgotten under your rule that
    folks remember only 5% of the gist of things....

    http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/00/03/07/073530.HTM#LAA2060

    ...., aligns with wisdom of the ages, or something somebody else said who they
    care about, e.g., God, Moses, Caesar, someone on television, and then weave that
    into your other Fleabyte content in a constructive way, this will get more
    people to recognize Fleabyte as a useful contributor.

    In sum, Fleabyte and others can be an effective force for growing a culture of
    knowledge by getting in the business of growing knowledge, rather than continue
    sending information.

    Rod

    **********************

    Henry K van Eyken wrote:

    > I had hoped that my volunteering with the Bootstrap Institute and the
    > creation of an e-journal would be of some value in the public domain. I
    > prefer to be a doer rather than a philosopher. However, I find that I
    > simply haven't the resources to be effective.
    >
    > I live in a small village, quite isolated from the intellectual world
    > other than by a magazine subscription, occasional visits to the
    > booksatore, and a noisy telephone line that calls for an hour to let
    > 10MB pass through. I am 74, getting tired more easily, have
    > responsibilities toward others, and get not much in the way of spiritual
    > uplift so much needed to continue.
    >
    > I determined for myself more than a dozen years ago that electronic
    > augmentation of the neural mind is essential in a world moving at
    > accellerating pace. Especially if we want to be more than a professional
    > in some field, to be a participating citizen of sound, informed judgment
    > as well. I had hoped that the e-journal - "Engelbart in Context" or
    > "Fleabyte" or whatever the name - might do its tiny bit to help
    > transform the insights of professionals into useable, effective tools
    > for people at large and do so more quickly than in the usual time it
    > takes for leading-edge advances to become useful to everybody. But one
    > unaided, unsupported, and increasingly dispirited person just cannot do
    > that. Not unless he is of exceptional quality - and even then ...
    >
    > I had hoped that some people would take a hard look at www.fleabyte.org
    > and attempt to perceive what is done for what reason, and with so
    > little. But instead, I find myself pretty much on the sideline, my
    > efforts irrelevant. Maybe tomorrow, after a night of refreshing sleep,
    > my slight depression will be gone and will I find the will and energy to
    > carry on just a little longer - but let's face it, what are the
    > prospects without actual, wholehearted support. I hate to give in to
    > negative feelings, but I guess the time has come to simply fade away as
    > we all must do sometime.
    >
    > Henry

    Universal Inkjet Refill Kit $29.95
    Refill any ink cartridge for less!