RE: [ba-ohs-talk] Towards an OHS Manifesto

Jack,    (01)

Education is indeed a major use case. Software development is a s well since
it is software developers who will create the software to further education.    (02)

It is necessary to teach children who are more adaptable than adults. Let's
not overlook, however, that any KM or OHS system we propose or develop will
be adopted by adults who do see the value of the new approach - the 10:1
improvement requirement is likely to be nearly correct.    (03)

This is one of the reasons that I have argued strongly for the individual
perspective of KM. If there is to be any knowledge to share, I must be able
to organize my own knowledge and provide it in a way that makes it
accessible for sharing. This is not distinct in any way from either
education or software development use cases.  Any system that is actually
accepted will be used first and foremost by individuals, and those
individuals must perceive the benefit to themselves of using such a system.    (04)

I want to be able to do collaborative knowledge building with small teams.
My focus is primarily software development since that is what I do, but
there are other collaborations that I would undertake if I could get a
decent resolution to that one.    (05)

Thanks,    (06)

Garold (Gary) L. Johnson    (07)

-----Original Message-----(trimmed)
From: Jack Park    (08)

In every sense of the world, there is a strong correlation between what I
have said and the Personal Knowledge Management software your firm
http://www.r-objects.com/ offers.  Indeed, that is the primary thrust of
KnownSpace.  In fact, I have been thinking that a "PKM" might be the very
next Killer Application.  My point of view, however, is that a PKM used in
learning environments tends to "personalize" the learner's own space,
enabling, perhaps, a stronger sense of "ownership" of the knowledge thus
acquired and constructed.  Let me elaborate.    (09)

The part of the response regarding people "already set in their ways"
reflects experience I have with working with teachers brought into a new
kind of school (constructivist) being somewhat ossified and not able to
change their ways.  Same problem with older students who make the same move.    (010)

In some sense, it reflects Rod Welch's experience in trying to sell his SDS
technology. Forgive me: us old farts are going to have a heckuva time
accepting new technology.  My view is this: start with the kids.    (011)

I should point out that Doug Engelbart is very interested in improving the
software industry and I think that to be a great use case pool as well.  I,
however, as a software developer myself, am already struggling with a new
approach of my own invention: OntoCentric(tm), which wants to build
everything starting from a central ontology.  Even though I am trying to
invent a new technology, it's not easy to use it for I have far too much
baggage dragging me into old habits.    (012)