Re: [ba-ohs-talk] bootstrap list message content & purple numbers

On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, Peter  Jones wrote:    (01)

> Here's my initial stab at that. I think we have enough data gathered from
> the messages themselves, and the backlink data, to enable us to create a
> first attempt at an OHS that will solve this purple numbering issue in many
> (most?) cases. (And we can perfect this as we go.)    (02)

This is actually something that Doug proposed two years ago.  And it's
something that Foresight sort of implemented with Critlink, which
supposedly has been integrated into the regular Hypernews distribution.
The fact that you also thought of this makes me more confident that it's a
worthwhile idea.    (03)

It shouldn't be too difficult to build something that works correctly 80
percent of the time (with an even higher percentage, if the community is
willing to adopt common practices for quoting, etc.).  Such a system could
then be used to build useful visualizations of mailing list discourse,
which would be strong validation for why we need things like transclusions
and back-linking.    (04)

-Eugene    (05)

--
+=== Eugene Eric Kim ===== eekim@eekim.com ===== http://www.eekim.com/ ===+
|       "Writer's block is a fancy term made up by whiners so they        |