[ba-ohs-talk] FCC AUTHORIZATION OF ULTRA-WIDEBAND TECHNOLOGY (incl. Peer-to-Peer Computing*)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 14, 2002

NEWS MEDIA CONTACT: David Fiske at (202) 418-051

NEW PUBLIC SAFETY APPLICATIONS AND BROADBAND INTERNET ACCESS AMONG USES ENVISIONED BY FCC AUTHORIZATION OF ULTRA-WIDEBAND TECHNOLOGY

"Washington, D.C. – The Federal Communication Commission (FCC) adopted today a First Report and Order that permits the marketing and operation of certain types of new products incorporating ultra-wideband (“UWB”) technology. UWB technology holds great promise for a vast array of new applications that have the potential to provide significant benefits for public safety, businesses and consumers in a variety of applications such as radar imaging of objects buried under the ground or behind walls and short-range, high-speed data transmissions." ...

More info:
< http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Engineering_Technology/News_Releases/2002/nret0203.html >

PowerPoint Presentation about
http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Engineering_Technology/News_Releases/2002/nret0203.ppt >
* Peer-to-Peer computing: Operation is limited to law enforcement, fire and rescue organizations, scientific research institutions, commercial mining companies, and construction ompanies.

"I believe that ultra-wideband (“UWB”) technologies are destined to play a significant role across America’s communications landscape. UWB devices will save firefighters’ and policemen’s lives, prevent automobile accidents, assist search-and-rescue crews in seeing through the rubble of disaster sites, enable broadband connections between our home electronics, and allow exciting new forms of communications in the years ahead. Indeed, the U.S. Government already uses UWB extensively to make our soldiers, airport runways, and highway bridges safer, and so much more is on the horizon." ...

Delay, even when advisable, still has costs. If we find that our rules are too restrictive and we fail to correct them promptly, the price may be that the United States loses its leadership role in ultra-wideband. The technology could easily move overseas, where, I wager, would-be competitors are only too eager to get a step ahead of the USA. ...

... I hope that all of us, whether in government or the private sector, will approach our nation’s deployment of ultra-wideband with the sense of urgency that it so clearly merits." ...
http://www.fcc.gov/Speeches/Copps/Statements/2002/stmjc205.html >

... "Inevitably, we will depend more and more on sharing the spectrum currently available to avoid such waste. Sharing decisions are made particularly difficult in the context of the “fiefdom” mentality that seems to characterize players who fervently guard their spectrum “turf,” regardless of whether additional use can be accommodated. Unfortunately, the result is often unrealized potential that can never be recaptured.

I am excited that ultrawideband technology, which operates at powers 10,000 times lower than PCS handsets, will allow us to take sharing to new levels, and help avoid such waste. These sophisticated applications can potentially co-exist with spectrum users in any frequency, while promising a host of exciting military, public safety, medical and consumer uses. Firefighters, police officers and emergency personnel can make use of this technology to detect and image objects that are behind walls, buried underground or even inside the human body. Automotive applications such as collision avoidance and improved airbag mechanisms will have a direct
consumer safety impact. Consumers also stand to benefit from enhanced laptops, phones, video recorders, and personal digital assistants that can wirelessly send and receive streams of digital video, audio and data.

Most importantly, ultrawideband challenges the notion that use of particular frequencies or bands is necessarily mutually exclusive. In defiance of our traditional allocation paradigm that often forces us to pick “winners and losers” in the face of competing demands, this technology seems to allow more winners all around."
http://www.fcc.gov/Speeches/Martin/Statements/2002/stkjm205.html >