[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] Indexes: Main | Date | Thread | Author

Re: [ba-ohs-talk] Art, Culture Enable a Culture of Knowledge

Rod.    (01)

I did not really answer your query properly, did I? In SDS you referred to a molecular level.
Ceci reports on a perception held by some of a central nervous system efficiency that sets
bounds on a number of microlevel; cognitive processes such as encoding, high-speed scanning,
storage, transformations. These microlevel processes are generators of macrolevel task
performances (in psychometry and learning as evidenced by tests).    (02)

I am not astute enough or know enough to argue against what you wrote in    (03)

http://www.welchco.com/03/00050/01/09/01/02/00030.HTM#0367    (04)

Looks fine with me. I am inclined to feel that growing understanding of neural processes will
give a better insight into the microscale of what you refer to as organic structure; and from
this the way a story is captured by the brain/mind.  see you are groping with story vs data
[my choice of words].    (05)

Very important stuff and I hope that Fleabyte can go into these things at a level that makes
sense in the context of augmentation. This calls for expert help, though, and I ain't got it!    (06)

Henry    (07)

Rod Welch wrote:    (08)

> Henry,
>
> Some follow up on your letter dated 020212 that relates plans to review Stephen
> Ceci's "On Intelligence: A Bioecological Treatise on IntellectualDevelopment"
> (Harvard U. Press).  You say that Ceci's book is "dead-on." If time permits, can
> you explain what Ceci says that is "dead-on" about intelligence.
>
> This group, as with many others around the world, has wrestled with the
> "intelligence" issue for several years, beginning with the record on 000120....
>
> http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/00/01/20/080146.HTM#L330502
>
> ...see particularly line 330532 asking about the role of "intelligence."
>
> While intelligence is defined in POIMS.....
>
> http://www.welchco.com/03/00050/01/09/01/02/00030.HTM#0367
>
> ...there has been no other explanation advanced, and no effort to apply POIMS,
> with the result that there is no progress on KM.
>
> Getting a workable explanation of intelligence and other cognitive issues to
> guide software programming would enable advance beyond information technology to
> a culture of knowledge.  Therefore, it would be helpful to see Cici's ideas.
>
> For perspective, many prominent writers and thinkers and countless web pages
> have been cited by the team, but review always seems to show there is no actual
> work product that demonstrates any of it is, as you say, "dead-on."  Now we seem
> to have something concrete, so look forward to your comments.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Rod
>
> *******************
>
> Henry K van Eyken wrote:
> >
> > Rod.
> >
> > I can't very well fault you for omitting that tiny word "not" when looking back at my
> > own sloppy writing!
> >
> > In re KM, I am digesting "A survey of the real-time economy" in The Economist of Feb. 2,
> > which you will find on the net at
> > http://www.economist.com/surveys/displaystory.cfm?story_id=949071
> >
> > A worthwhile read, but maybe you Silican Valley guys already know all about that stuff.
> > It also puts things written about on on this forum in perspective. It keeps on hitting
> > me how truly personal computing (and with that lifelong education of the digitally
> > augmented kind) is treated by the industry as a whole as table scraps. Some decades ago,
> > we used to talk about "organization man"; before that of the "man in the grey flannel
> > suit." Now look at that picture of modern man in that Economist article. Pretty well
> > seems to sum up much of modern life: on and off the job.
> >
> > There is a small, but, to me, significant  error in your page
> > http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/00/11/05/140021.HTM
> > Not your fault, just a communication error between us. I did not take an advanced degree
> > in chemistry; just a bachelor's. I had  diplomas and some career in chemical technology
> > as control chemist, resp. control engineer in the pulp and paper indusry. Then went to
> > Pulp & Paper Magazine of Canada. At age 40 I decided to go back to school to prepare for
> > teaching. Received a BSc, then a teaching diploma and an M.Ed. Spare-time studies while
> > teaching at an inner-city college. (I was hired as a college professor two years before
> > I received my B.Sc.) These data may not be significant, except that it is my overall
> > upbringing as a child and "educational history" that made me interested in digital
> > augmentation as soon as I had my first 0.25-K pocket computer. I learned the importance
> > of environment on educational achievement. As a teenager I was a total failure (war;
> > irrational home environment), but later, when serving on a radio station in Indonesia, I
> > borrowed books from a local High School and it took me three months spare time to get my
> > High School diploma (had some physics and math under the belt, though, but no biology,
> > history, geography, English, and some other stuff). The environment was just so
> > stimulating. Same later, when I compressed a five-year program into two before migrating
> > to Canada. My personal experience was somewhat in conflict with the way I had to view my
> > role as a college teacher, something hard to understand by people who have grown up
> > through the system, which is just about everybody. One of the books I want to review for
> > Fleabyte is Stephen Ceci's "On Intelligence: A Bioecological Treatise on Intellectual
> > Development" (Harvard U. Press). As far as I am concerned, he is dead-on.
> >
> > It is from this background that Doug resonates with me. (Being of about the same age is
> > also a factor.) Right now, working on Fleabyte is often quite discouraging - little
> > stimulation from environment - but I sort of feel that the lessons life has taught me
> > would go to naught if I don't give it a try. Who else is going to perceive its
> > significance unless I demonstrate it instead of just talk about it.
> >
> > Henry
> >
> > Rod Welch wrote:
> >
> > > Henry,
> > >
> > > Thanks for drawing attention to an error in my letter on 020209, which said that
> > > "...intelligence does guarantee success,"  since this was intended to say that
> > > "intelligence does not guarantee success," but merely increases the chances of
> > > success, since, as you know, variables that impact life exceed the capacity of
> > > any one faculty from guaranteeing anything, under the general rule there are no
> > > guarantees in human enterprise.
> > >
> > > I was a little surprised there is not more support from this venue to report, &c., &c.    (09)