Re: [ba-ohs-talk] New backlink metadata; mhpurple v0.2 released

On Mon, 4 Mar 2002, Stephen Danic wrote:    (01)

> Let's say we build an import/export standard. How do we make a tree (XML)
> represent a graph?
> How do we prune a graph for exporting subsets, branches or aggregates?    (02)

GXL is a good starting point for an import/export standard.  Of course,
it's only a starting point; still have to develop the appropriate GXL
schemas for different types of data.    (03)

As for pruning a graph, what would be the Lucid Fried Eggs use cases for
such a feature?    (04)

> What common baseline features are required in each graph editor for the API
> to be useful: purple numbers, versioning, typed edges?    (05)

I'd say all three, plus access control.    (06)

Note that a repository that stores typed edge information is a link
database.  The links represented at:    (07)

  http://www.bootstrap.org/lists/backlinks.txt    (08)

could be stored in such a repository.    (09)

Another note: Purple numbers = node IDs.  I like Lee Iverson's definition
of a node -- a chunk of data with metadata (ID, version info, access
control info, etc.) associated with it.  By limiting the scope of this
initial project, we could avoid the problem of determining exactly what
should constitute a node in a given document type.  The nodes and edges
are fairly obvious in the applications I listed.    (010)

-Eugene    (011)

--
+=== Eugene Eric Kim ===== eekim@eekim.com ===== http://www.eekim.com/ ===+
|       "Writer's block is a fancy term made up by whiners so they        |