Re: [ba-ohs-talk] new version of graph model paper posted

Eric Armstrong wrote:    (01)

> The perception represents a change in thinking that is always
> astounding the first time it is encountered. I had a similar insight
> driving back from one of the colloqium sessions one evening.
> I shared that insight in a subsequent message to the group --
> that a "document" was really a collection of nodes (although
> "2-D projection of a multi-dimensional network" is more
> accurate).
>
> The recognition helped us to clarify the role of the underlying
> repository as what Nicholas termed a "node soup".
>
> As a very intelligent man I was acquainted once said, "It takes
> just as much intelligence (insight, what have you), to conceive
> a thing the second time, as it did the first time."
>
> I suspect I'm not doing full justice to Eugene's breakthrough,
> here, and that more of it will surface in the paper.
>
> However, what is "old hat" to some is always exciting and new
> to others. I think it is only good form to congratulate someone
> on a conceptual breakthrough. It represents a springboard from
> which they may leap in an entirely new and unexpected direction.    (02)

I certainly understand the "eureka!" moment, such as when I
finally understood the implications of graph theory, or certain
aspects of systems theory. But I can't not have the impression
that there must be something I'm missing here.    (03)

My message was in no way intended to represent any sense of
accomplishment on my part. I'm just under the impression that
you guys must be talking about something *different* than I'm
thinking, as even within the OHS group that you and I and Eric
have taken part of, what I'm hearing is the "new innovation" has
been talked about before, at length, such as us sitting around
a table talking about Lee Iverson's NODAL. I can't imagine I
was the only person there (besides Lee) who "got it." Maybe
having some knowledge of groves I did more than some, but this
is hard to believe.    (04)

My apologies if either this or my previous message is
misunderstood, and certainly many congratulations are due
to anyone having a "eureka!" moment. They're rare and
wonderful birds.    (05)

Murray    (06)

Murray Altheim                         <mailto:m.altheim @ open.ac.uk>
Knowledge Media Institute
The Open University, Milton Keynes, Bucks, MK7 6AA, UK    (07)

      In the evening
      The rice leaves in the garden
      Rustle in the autumn wind
      That blows through my reed hut.  -- Minamoto no Tsunenobu    (08)