[ba-ohs-talk] Hyperscope and Launch plan - Doug's own words

I’m sending this in response to the comments by Mike and Eric about the Hyperscope.

> In the meantime, all you hackers out there should

> know: That's the specification.

> It's the only one we've got, so go forth and

> multiply.

I have looked into the hypescope,

one thing that occured to me is the idea of a smart

cache.... The hypescope should be able to read all

types of documents? I use google, and it indexs all

types. The GPLed namatzu search engine can index all

types as well, this might be something to use as a

back end for a first implementation. A filter process

that transforms documents into something usable on the

server side?

Or are we talking about a very powerfull IE5 with

plugings that can read anything via OLE plugings?

mike

=====

James Michael DuPont

MLF:

I would recommend that anyone who wants to work on a Hyperscope in a way that might engage Doug’s interest would probably need to start understanding what Doug has most recently said about the work at Bootstrap Alliance and the technology to be developed in the co-evolution process.

5/14 from a private email from Mei Lin

I had a very interesting meeting with Doug to try and work out what we might do in order to Bootstrap the OHS.

The reason why we need to do this, is that as we recruit Charter members for the Bootstrap Alliance, the technology road map becomes of increasing interest.

Doug has made a major start on this in his paper <http://www.bootstrap.org/augment/BI/2120.htm>. The pieces that are lacking have to do with:

  1. Tying it to current technologies in some way – it is a functional spec – we would need to pick out promising components out that as initial starting points
  2. Making it a credible and tangible starting point that clearly leads to the evolutionary framework in a way that others besides Doug can understand
  3. Breaking it down into a collaborative effort that many minds can engage in

This is the earliest stage of any launch.

Doug Engelbart: May 7, 2002:

Here goes: some words about what the Bootstrap Alliance (BA) is designed to become, and why join it.

   1.  An important, basic point here is about getting best ROI on C-work when appropriately pooling your org's C-investment dollars with other orgs within a suitable Improvement Community -- and best if this Community is a Bootstrapping NIC.

      Assumption: The members of a given Improvement Community are all seeking to improve the same Improvement Vector within their respective organizations.

      Examples:  Improving software-development productivy.  Or, Improving the teaching/Learning effectiveness in a school/university system. Or, improving manufacturing efficiency and quality.

   2.  BA is to evolve into a special Networked Improvement Community (NIC), one whose cooperating members are themselves NICS, where the mutual improvement vector among the member NICs is, "How to maximize the rate at which we can improve our Collective IQs and apply that towards being a more effective NIC."

      I.e., full application of Bootstrapping Strategy.

   3.  Here we assume maximum attention to Facilitating the Co-evolution of Human and Tool Systems.  And that involves two key, basic, high-focus, coordinated pursuits:

      a.  Tool-System Launch:  Initiation and long-term, continuing evolution of an open-ended, Open-Source, Open Hyperdocument System (OHS).

Basic description developed in '92 publication,

 <http://www.bootstrap.org/augment/AUGMENT/132811.html>

see <http://www.bootstrap.org/augment/AUGMENT/132811.html#7> for some general, basic, early-stage user features, and <http://www.bootstrap.org/augment/AUGMENT/132811.html#8> for early-stage architectural features

Assuming the OHS will evolve to include everything mentioned/expected in the "Semantic Web" prognosis -- and more ...

Initial, first-stage OHS, the Hyperscope, can be introduced for immediately useful application within an organization's existing "legacy" applications and files (and/or data bases) -- with as little transitional shifts as possible -- and to enable continuing evolution from there with a designed minimum of "transitional discontinuities."

This "HyperScope" spec is a key part of the planned OHS launch. See <http://www.bootstrap.org/augment/BI/2120.htm>

Thereafter: Significant capability extensions already planned, to extend smoothly the properties and functions provided by the HyperScope-initiated OHS as versions 1, 2, etc.

A uniquely extensive array of "knowledge-container properties" is expected, when integrating such as the known AUGMENT-system capabilities and the current, emergent capabilities associated with the "Semantic Web" movement ... and more are sure to evolve and be included.

And similarly, a uniquely extensive array of functional operations will emerge to be integrated into the "knowledge-worker's specialty vocabularies," becoming more and more the basic operative vocabulary and performance capabilities of an ever-increasing proportion of our population.

      b.  Human-System Launch:

         Years of experience with extensive application of the AUGMENT System brings an assurance that by e.g. "Stage-3" of HyperScope evolution, there will be an emergent set of uniquely usefuly new capabilities within an organization's knowledge-work activity.

         At some point here there would be opportunity (and significant value) in stimulating some users to work themselves into a first-stage, "high-performance" level of capability.

            This would entail enhancing the OHS architecture to include a (eventually multiple) new UIS (User Interface System), specially tailored to specialty work at first, but much of this would eventually be common capabilities (somewhat as today's automobile drivers have "common capabilities" what would have been judged in 1905 to be "high performance").

And a  parallel activity would be important to promote -- setting up specific "high-performance team" cultivation (and even having competitive trial events).

End of quote from Doug

Mei Lin Fung