[ba-ohs-talk] 3-layer Architecture Purpose of DKR?

Eric,    (01)

Per your letter below, and within the meaning of this subject on the
purpose of a DKR, and how Jack's idea for 3 layers might be deployed
to help people improve upon current practice, the first layer seems to
contemplate that folks continue working through stream-of-conscious
methodologies, roughly like conversation and email.  In this layer
things are pretty much the same; it is a bridge to the future.    (02)

The second element empowers everyone to draw on a connected record,
because someone is adding "intelligence" in layer 3 that makes it fast
and easy for people to pick and choose parts of Knowledge Space to use
for adding connections based on whatever pops into the mind at the
moment.  Explicit links make this faster and easier to accomplish
within the time people have available for stream-of-conscious
communication.  This layer takes only a few seconds to empower people
with ability to add value to the DKR by making a few connections to
save time and money by reducing mistakes and increasing creativity
from strengthening understanding.    (03)

The third element is the DKR where there is an array of Knowledge
Space that has organization, analysis, alignment, summary and feedback
that refines accuracy through continual use of the plan, perform,
report cycle which enables concurrent discovery of correlations,
implications and nuance.  This DKR work is made faster, better and so
cheaper by the synergy of explicit links that empower people using the
first layer to create a few connections that make up the 2nd layer.    (04)

Synergy between these layers lifts the quality of the broader base of
work in layer one for getting things done on time and within budget --
hopefully.    (05)

Layer 3 requires a fast and supple method to organize conventional
information, like this letter, or in a book, seeing a movie, attending
a meeting, making a call, into chronology that imparts cause and
effect based on organic structure that identifies and segments context
beyond the limits for span of attention explained by professor Miller
in his paper delivered at Harvard in 1955.  A flexible structure makes
it faster and easier to provide a first order array using traditional
outline and forms management methods, sort of like a spreadsheet for
knowledge.  Automated connections link segments into chains of
chronology based on context.  Custom connections further triangulate
meaning to avoid the drift that innately occurs in the human mind and
is compounded over time in stream-of-conscious communication through
the common practice of paraphrasing.  Multiple summary descriptions of
record segments aid the mind in recognizing alternate views of daily
working information.  Alignment and feedback "debug" understanding to
reduce ambiguity of mental maps that occur through stream-of-conscious
communication in layers 1 and 2, using a double entry process called
"notice" in the law.  Chronology, contacts, organic structure, objects
like a letter, report, file, action items, and key words and
connections provided in layer 2, all working together, like the mind
uses parallel processing to draw on its memory of experience, make it
possible to find most everything in real-time for growing Knowledge
Space minute by minute, hour by hour, over days, weeks and years.       (06)

How then to parlay purple numbers that bridge layers one and two into
something that gets layer 3 done to augment intelligence for everyone,
as you contemplated in your letter on 000423, and later was needed to
fill the gaps in national security on 010911.  Clearly, your specs for
CDR, which Lee Iverson built upon to create NODAL, reviewed on 010620,
and now Jack Park has advanced with Nexist, is the kind of
evolutionary process that Doug envisions.     (07)

The issue is not whether to abandon stream-of-conscious communication
in meetings, calls and email, but rather how to transform alphabet
technology applied for conventional literacy in order to lift the
capacity to think, remember and communicate by capturing a larger
share of organizational memory and adding intelligence.  This requires
an architecture for human cognition that dynamically integrates time
and information to continually create, maintain and refine a
repository of knowledge, i.e., a DKR.    (08)

Envision for a moment that we have a DKR.  How do we empower people to
invest a few seconds in layer 1 to create the resource in layer 2 that
makes it fast and easy to create layer 3 so that layer 1 is more
productive, as we discussed on 020530 for beginning the journey from
information to a culture of knowledge? What would light the fire of
imagination to transform a culture to a new way of working that takes
a few seconds to convert informtion into knowledge for saving time and
money, and solving world problems, as you discussed on 000120?     (09)

Rod     (010)