Re: [ba-ohs-talk] Collaborative Editing / Tracking?

At 01:02 PM 8/20/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>blincoln wrote:
><snip>    (01)

Murry Altheim wrote:    (02)

>Jack has just posted his NexistWiki, and any Wiki would really do. Of
>the many varieties available you'd probably want one with user
>passwords and the ability to export to text (because most Wikis I've
>seen use web pages).
>
>There's also both StarOffice and OpenOffice (the latter is the open
>source version of the former). These work on multiple platforms and
>are free. The part I'm not sure of is the change-tracking component.
>If you used a Java-based Wiki it probably wouldn't be too hard to
>hook up one of the Java-based CVS tools to it, so that each iteration
>of the document was auto-checked in.    (03)

NexistWiki (http://www.nexist.org/wiki/) does automatic versioning of
edited paragraphs.  If one document is contained on one page, essentially
the latest version of each paragraph is displayed.  What NexistWiki does
not do (yet) is perform a magic export function which gives you the final
draft of the document.    (04)

For privacy, there is a new feature that resides only on the private home
page of logged-in users: New Private Doc button. It creates a Document that
is part of what is now called PrivWiki, and pages marked like that are not
visible to anyone unless someone publishes the URL, at which time, the
document is nolonger private.  PrivWiki pages do not show up on
RecentEdits.  So, with that feature, it is possible to go online and begin
editing private documents.    (05)

Appropriate Warning: When the database gets dumped to an XML file for
backup purposes, PrivWiki and private User home pages are now visible, but
only to the superuser who performed the dump.    (06)

>Not any real solutions perhaps, but some ideas nevertheless...
>
>Murray

>Murray Altheim                  <http://kmi.open.ac.uk/people/murray/>
>Knowledge Media Institute
>The Open University, Milton Keynes, Bucks, MK7 6AA, UK
>
>      If it wants to be a global power and a player in the
>      Atlantic alliance, Europe has to get back into the
>      business of making war. -- Newsweek Magazine, June 3, 2002    (07)

XML Topic Maps: Creating and Using Topic Maps for the Web.
Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-74960-2.    (08)

NexistWiki
http://www.nexist.org/wiki/    (09)