From: owner-ba-unrev-talk@bootstrap.org
[mailto:owner-ba-unrev-talk@bootstrap.org]On Behalf Of Peter Jones
Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2002 6:39 PM
To: ba-unrev-talk@bootstrap.org
Subject: Re: Means to an end WAS: Re: [ba-unrev-talk] On Tournaments    (04)

Hi,    (05)

OK, I don't think I'm getting through on that tack so I'll try another.    (06)

If an OHS conforms to the requirements of an OHS, then information
will be transferable between two OHSes without loss.
Does it then matter what is used to build an OHS if the information
can be seamlessly interchanged between individual instances?
No.    (07)

On the assumption that the alliance-980.htm docs constitute requirements
then that leaves a couple of things to sort out.
1- Sources of investment.
2- Organisation.    (08)

As regards (1) the question is who is going to build it and why?
Folks paid by industry get paid by industry, and industry carries
the risk on ROI.
Volunteer open sourcers are by definition in it for kudos, heroism,
and service spin-offs. You only get to wear the red underpants on the
outside if you can say you saved the world out of the goodness of
your heart.    (09)

Assuming folks on the list regarding OHS development fall into the
latter category, then the investment is a matter of volunteer hours.
But the efficiency of a volunteer effort might turn on its organisation
more.
There might be 4 volunteers who put in 4 hours a piece (heroically) per
week = 16 person hours per week.
Or there might be 400 hundred people who only put in an hour a week
(a lot less heroic) = 400 person hours per week.    (010)

(Is it _necessarily_ the case that the organisation required for that
presuppose the existence of an OHS? No.)    (011)

The whole point of Doug endorsing the GPL was that folks would be
able to forego immediate personal greed and collaborate on the core
tool. Selfish memes are out.
(And is it certain that memes behave like genes anyway?)    (012)

Stage 1: find out who wants to play and how.
Someone with a server could set up a simple html form that people
could plug their names and possible roles into. (I don't have a server
that'll run FormMail before you ask.)
Stage 2: decide what subset of alliance-980.htm constitutes a  first
prototype.
(After Stage 1: we'll know who wants to be plugged into that.)
Stage 3: find an effective organisational method for the project that
would
scale to 400 people doing an hour a week. Much of that might turn on
how cleverly one could modularise the requirements.(?)
(Organisational methods gurus step forward now. If not we'll innovate.)
Stage 4: Set a deadline for first prototype. Fire it up.    (013)

Herding cats is hard. So if you're sure you're irredeemably cat-like
don't listen to me.
Anyone out there wants to make one more bid at not being
a cat?    (014)

--
Peter    (015)