Re: [ba-unrev-talk] Humble pie in academia

On Tuesday, October 15, 2002, at 11:04 AM, Eric Armstrong wrote:
> I really like this guy's philosophy, right off the bat. The fact that
> is
> an object-oriented *scripting* language is fascinating, right at the
> outset.    (01)

Ruby's one of the few things I've found over the past couple of years
that has sustained my interest. It's very easy to learn yet there seems
to be no real limit to what it can do.    (02)

Here's the online book:  http://www.rubycentral.com/book/    (03)

I recommend using the interactive ruby shell, "irb" - this provides a
BASIC like environment where commands are executed immediately without
the file save/compile/link/run/debug/wash/rinse/repeat cycle.    (04)

The standard libraries are one of Ruby's strong points. This was where
OO clicked into place for me, as the ability to use nearly all of it
with a few simple ideas clearly showcases why you'd want to do OO
despite the lower performance and loss of control.    (05)

The following link is for Objective C, but it contains one of the best
explanations of OO from a procedural perspective that I've seen:    (06)

http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/Cocoa/ObjectiveC/2objc_oop/
index.html    (07)

The guys at Apple also like Ruby - it comes standard with OS X now. The
Mac with OS X, Cocoa and ObjC is the first computer I've liked in 10
years.    (08)

I've moved my computing life onto my iBook and it's a life changer. All
those 5 mins and 10 mins of dead time throughout the day are now
opportunities to whip out the laptop and catch up on some email.    (09)

--
   spwhite@chariot.net.au    (010)