RE: [ba-unrev-talk] the paperless office

On the lighter side, I think this is one of these areas where George
Carlin's driving paradigm applies (anyone driving slower than you is an
a@#hole, anyone driving faster is a maniac) - so I, and I alone, have
exactly the right balance of creative confusion.    (01)

On the more serious side, I invariably program with a large paper blotter
beside me - because for many things it's simply much more useful than a
teraflop workstation with a 800 trillion by 600 trillion flat screen
monitor.    (02)

Partly it's the ability to externalize unarticulated cognitive structures
(er, did I really say that? sorry) - "this goes here, near that" Computers
tend to force one into formalizing relationships too early.    (03)

For my 2 cents worth, I think it ought to go something like this:    (04)

Technology almost never becomes obsolete (arms races might be an exception
here) - there are more steam engines working now than in the 19th century -
radio did not replace live performance, nor TV film, etc etc. What happens
is that new technology enables better use of old - steam engines generating
electricity which is easier to transmit, load balance, etc. What I really
want from computers is the ability to find stuff without ever filing it.
This is pretty close to available. A nice little google indexer running on
my PDA ought to do it.    (05)

I never want to file things because I never know what they will ultimately
have been about. Think about email - I used to store by sender, or by
subject, or date, or split into "project A" "topic X". Now I usually just
file everything in a big folder called "mail" - and let the machine knock
itself out locating that letter I got sometime last year about that poor
Nigerian widow. It usually finds it faster than I do when I look by
category.    (06)

-g    (07)