[ba-unrev-talk] [ba-talk-unrev] CoDIAK Proposal: UC Discovery Grants & NSF 03-552Soliciation for Human & Social Dynamics (HSD)
IMHO, below is some exciting info about some possible
CoDIAK funding for developing GnuRadios along with self-organizing
wireless sensor networks for Planetworkers collaboratories, based on Reed's Law - "
Imagine: world with unlimited airwaves"
and "improving to improve" CITRIS
and NEST projects
into Societal-scale information systems by augmenting the TinyOS and TinyDB
technology in the spirit of:
Doug’s Dream Come True: Collaboratories in Context"
- Bootstrapping Social
- Evolutionary Collective
Collective Intelligence on the Web, and
- Learning Webs
- Eric Brewer's presentation (pp. 2-5): Information
& Communication Technology for Billions
Network Information Theory for Wireless Communications" and "Towards a more holistic
information technology transformation" for Network Thinking about World
- Muhammad Yunus
(Founder and Managing Director of Grameen Bank)
- New Business Models (e.g. Grameen Phone project) that "Will Build
Bridges Between People Throughout the World":
- Within the next decade, we will develop a sustainable business
model and associated collection of system architectures and component technologies
for providing affordable and useful digital services to the four billion
people on earth earning less than $1,500/year.
- Within the next decade, we will develop and deploy sustainable
and affordable technology that will guarantee reliable access to clean drinking
water for over 90% of the people and animals on earth.
- Within the next decade, we will develop and deploy monitoring and
control systems that can reduce both commercial and domestic energy waste
by over 90%.
- Within the next half century, we will develop and deploy appropriate
sustainable, affordable and reliable energy sources for use by all people
throughout the world.
- Within the next fifteen years, we will improve the average literacy
levels in the world by 5 grade-years by making compelling, culturally-relevant,
cost-effective and robust digital tutor technology available to any interested
group on this planet.
- Within the next decade, we will reduce the unemployment rate of
people with disabilities by 50% throughout the world.
- Within the next decade, we will increase the average duration of
time by which and elderly person can live comfortably at home by at least
- Within the next decade, we will provide affordable access to all
known authored works on line. This will include all contemporary and historical
documents, works of art, film, and recorded performances.
Overall, UC Discovery Grants awards up to $20 million in matching funds
each year in science and engineering to UC faculty interested in partnerships
with industrial sponsors.
The Industry-University Cooperative Research Program (IUCRP) awards
hundreds of UC Discovery Grants each
year in five
fields of science and engineering, in addition to offering a
Microelectronics grant. UC Discovery Grants form a 3-way partnership
between UC, Industry
Sponsors, and the State of California.
Also, at a IBM-CITRIS
meeting last week at UC Berkeley, Sally M. Kane, Ph.D.,
Senior NSF Advisor (Directorate for the Social, Behavioral,
and Economic Sciences) provided a pointer to a new NSF solicitation,
including 2002 quantitiative indicators
of changes in U.S. science, engineering, and tecnhology.
Human and Social Dynamics: Special Competition for FY 2003
The goals of HSD priority area are:
- To develop a comprehensive, multi-disciplinary approach to understanding
human and social dynamics;
- To capitalize on the convergence in biology, engineering, nanotechnology,
information technology, and cognition to advance the understanding
of behavior and performance at both the individual and social
To refine knowledge about decision making, risk,
and uncertainty and to learn how to translate this knowledge into
improved decision making;
- To develop the broad range of infrastructure needed to support
transformative interdisciplinary research; and
To create relevant large-scale data resources and
advance methodological frontiers, such as agent-based modeling,
complex network analysis, non-linear dynamics, computer-assisted
qualitative analysis, multi-level, multi-scalar analysis
and other innovations grounded in measurement research and
new technologies. These will provide the foundation for social
and behavioral investigations for the next decade.
E.g. OHS/DKR-augmented Bilingual
and Multilingual Dictionaries and Fonts
E-MELD is a 5-yr. project with a dual objective:
1) To aid in the preservation of endangered languages data and documentation,
2) To aid in the development of the infrastructure necessary for effective
collaboration among electronic archives.