Re: [unrev-II] Lifestreams

From: Jeff Miller (jeffm@dynamite.com.au)
Date: Fri Mar 31 2000 - 20:14:40 PST

    On Fri, Mar 31, 2000 at 04:00:33PM -0800, Eric Armstrong wrote:
    > When I started my company, there were 5,000 software companies making PC
    > products, who among them had some 17,000 products. The ads for all of
    > those individual products, in one sense, competed for user attention.
    > But in a very real sense they all *cooperated* in gaining user
    > mind-share for the PC platform, establishing it as the juggernaut it
    > became. That's why the Bootstrap effort must
    > be focused on creating an *industry*, not a product. There is no
    > substitute for the amount of marketing muscle, development capability,
    > and customer-education capacity of thousands of competing companies. No
    > single product or company can ever hope to make the same kind of
    > civilization-transforming dent in public consciousness.

    Kevin Kelly makes a very silar point in "New Rules for the New Economy".
    In which he says feed the network at the expense of the company. Meaning
    that by creating and supporting other companies that in the same line of
    business you help widen the available make for all.

    Jeff.

    DON'T HATE YOUR RATE!
    Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds! Get rates as low as
    Apply NOW!