Re: [unrev-II] Re: Towards an atomic data structure (

From: altintdev@webtv.net
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 23:27:53 PDT

    Hi,

    I think a real important thought that has been missing in the last 30+
    e-mails is that the objective is developing knowledge by collaborative
    cooperation. I mean one thing the DKR/OHS must give us is a simpler way
    for one or a group to take all those last 30+ messages, glean the
    important parts, organize and consolidate these important parts, then
    republish the refinement to those who wish to study the topic outside
    the relative chaos of an e-mail type system. The new item includes
    references to all the previous items so that someone could go back to
    verify proper extraction, but most importantly, maintain the link with
    underlying facts or assumptions in case they change, requiring a change
    to the new node, This is how we can evolve knowledge about a particular
    topic.

    I think we must take the approach that the DKR/OHS will be employed by a
    group of people with a purpose and that the main purpoe will be
    gathering and processing information about a specific problem, not just
    surfing around looking fo interesting stuff to add as various
    categories. Anyone will be able to use a personal DKR/OHS for that
    purpose. And they will probably be doing this under the guidance of some
    sort of management, working in a relatively closed environment on mostly
    propriietary problems, and having a budget of time or money which may
    set some bounds on the project. And, they will be counting on this tool
    we are thinking about in order to achieve success.

    Anyway, how do these glorified chat rooms deal with the problem of
    helping with the task of generating and maintaining open source
    software, the first task we agreed to tackle. Perhaps we should try a
    more convenient and useful tool than this e-mail, but I think that we
    should start to build something right now that at least gives us some
    easy methods to process piles of data like this e-mail forum into a
    presentation we can use. It is way too early to think we will block
    ourselves by taking some initial approach that later must be scrapped.
    This will give us some experience in what this thing has to do - augment
    the abilities of someone or a group that needs to get a job done where
    part of that job is sorting through a vast universe of information and
    generating useful content that describes a problem and suggests a
    solution.

    Best Regards,
    Joe

    Alternative Interface Devices.
    Improve Accessibility and Utility of the WWW...

    GET WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE FREE! GET THE OFFICIAL COMPANION
    TO TELEVISION'S HOTTEST GAME SHOW PHENOMENON PLUS 5 MORE BOOKS FOR
    $2. Click for details.