[unrev-II] Towards a summary of documents

From: Rod Welch (rowelch@attglobal.net)
Date: Thu Nov 30 2000 - 01:58:52 PST

    Jack,

    I tried your suggestion and wound up at...

    http://www.infoloom.com/gcaconfs/WEB/barcelona97/angerst7.HTM

    This location and the path that led to it seems like it could be very useful.
    How are you thinking of applying this to KM, as Doug lays out in his 1972 paper,
    reviewed most recently on 000327....

    http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/00/03/27/094001.HTM#L391402

    ...and evidently applied in his paper on 980128 for the "Technology Template
    Project," that led to the DKR objective...

    http://www.bootstrap.org/alliance-980.htm#0436

    Is the idea to process daily working information with the engine discussed in
    your letter on 000623...,

    http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/00/06/23/114155.HTM#L441903

    Sounds like a strong track, which might lead to putting the Subject Index on the
    web in some form that would add a new dimension to finding stuff when needed,
    similar to SDS.

    Rod

    Jack Park wrote:

    > After reviewing Rod's web site based on his 11/28/00 post here, and this
    > post, I am inclined to offer the following comments.
    >
    > Thus far, we have two volunteers (that is, ones that I happened to notice as
    > explicitly doing so):
    > Michael Crusoe (Kedron the Jester)
    > John W. Burroughs
    >
    > Having worked on the XTM (XML Topic Maps) standard which will be presented
    > to the public next week at XML 2000, I am strongly biased in the direction
    > of something other than summaries of our postings. Rod has already done
    > most of that. Let me suggest all readers visit this web site:
    > http://www.infoloom.com/gcaconfs/WEB/index.htm
    >
    > The page is an index into Topic Maps for each of the GCA conferences.
    > Browse around those and you will find that it is possible to track just
    > about anything you want. For example, click on "Indexes". That takes you
    > to http://www.infoloom.com/gcaconfs/WEB/gcacoidx.HTM
    >
    > There, click on "Term". That takes you to
    > http://www.infoloom.com/gcaconfs/WEB/nidx6.HTM
    >
    > Now do a search on "topic" which takes you down to entry 1407. I thought
    > that interesting. Clicking that got
    > http://www.infoloom.com/gcaconfs/WEB/ts1432/tp1432.HTM
    > which has a "Mentioned" line. Click that gets
    > http://www.infoloom.com/gcaconfs/WEB/paris2000/S22-02.HTM#N103
    > where the phrase in 1407 is found. We see that it is contained in a paper
    > by Alexander Sigel. Thus, I have been able to take the concept of "topic"
    > all the way to a particular paper that referenced it.
    >
    > Notice that terms similar to those referenced in 1407 are listed on the left
    > side for further research. What's cool about this is that such an effort
    > performed on all the OHS stuff would make it easy to find out who said what,
    > when, where, why and so forth. Add to that Eric's idea of an IBIS interface
    > and now anyone can join the fray at any place at any time. What's even more
    > interesting, a consensus ontology can be made to grow out of such a project
    > just by clustering keywords.
    >
    > In many ways, this is greatly similar to Rods work, with the following excep
    > tions: Rod does not do for navigation what the Topic Map does (ultimately,
    > me thinks he should), though he does make life easier with his Document Log
    > at http://www.welchco.com/04/00067/63/00401.HTM
    > and, the Topic Map does not include the map builder's comments. It's just a
    > map and nothing more. Thus, a Topic Map would not serve as, per se, a KM
    > tool in the sense that Rod's SDS does, but it will serve as a powerful
    > mechanism for building and using a KM tool such as SDS.
    >
    > I would therefore propose that one of the *very first* thangs to do within
    > the OHS group is this: build a damn good Topic Map implementation and apply
    > it to the hypermail, plus all other web sites and writings about OHS and
    > related stuff. Done properly, the tool will have the ability to suck up web
    > pages and add them to the TM automatically when given keyword prompts by
> [...]

    eGroups eLerts