Re: [unrev-II] Structural Computing

From: Lee Iverson (leei@ai.sri.com)
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 12:43:03 PDT

    In message <4.2.2.20010804191932.00c881e0@thinkalong.com>, Jack Park writes:
    > From the sigWeb newsletter:
    >"Structural computing asserts "the primacy of structure over data" and aims
    >to develop a set of principles, techniques, and technology that can be used
    >by developers as resources for developing applications in new domains"
    >
    >These folks make liberal use of the term "OHS"
    >
    >at http://www.daimi.au.dk/~pnuern/papers/diss/ we find an abstract for a
    >dissertation on this topic:
    >[...]
    >Lots of papers at http://www.daimi.au.dk/~pnuern/papers/
    >
    >Papers from the First Workshop on Structural Computing are found at
    >http://www.daimi.au.dk/~pnuern/sc1/submissions/
    >see also http://www.cs.aue.auc.dk/~pnuern/papers/sc1.final/sc1.final.html

    Yow. These guys sure do seem to have some things to say that I agree
    with totally (like the need for interactive, shared,
    structured-data-centric toolkits) and they sure are working hard, but
    mygawd, is there anyone in this crew who understands something about
    simplicity? It seems they all took courses on "design by obfuscation"

    If anyone finds any particular nuggets of clear, succinct thought in there,
    please let me know, cause I want to understand but don't have the time for
    all of the conceptual combinatorics that these guys seem fond of.

    Lee Iverson SRI International
    leei@ai.sri.com 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park CA 94025
    http://www.ai.sri.com/~leei/ (650) 859-3307

    Small business owners...