Re: [unrev-II] Thinking about communicating

From: Henry K van Eyken (vaneyken@sympatico.ca)
Date: Sat Oct 06 2001 - 08:35:00 PDT

    Rod.

    When different people talk about whole new ways of thinking, they can mean vastly different things. It may be a different way of
    looking at familar things because of a new fact that came to light - or taking this further as the outcome of a good education.
    It may mean self-reflection caused by putting one's thoughts in writing (recirculating and refining one's thoughts). It may mean
    a hightened efficiency such as facilitated by your SDS. It may mean shifting to thinking at a higher level in a scheme like
    Bloom's taxonomy of cognition as reflected in the piece I alluded to in my post of Aug. 19 which is called "Fleabyte
    Fundamentals: Promoting More Meaningful Learning." I kind of see Doug's "whole new way of thinking as a combination of all of
    these.

    I noticed that I was pondering republishing that 1989 article in "Engelbart in Context." I was pondering that again earlier this
    morning upon reading Eugene's post in the thread, "Cascading efects?" He concluded,

    "For augmentation to happen, there is still a human learning cycle. Thanks to the massive amount of information currently out
    there, I can certainly learn new subjects faster than previously. However, my brain is still a bottleneck. It has better and
    faster access to information, but it doesn't process it any faster."

    Replacing the word "bottleneck" by "central nervous system," the neural equivalent of a computer's CPU so to speak, we may not
    do much about our personal clock speeds, but we can make better use of it by our choice of productivity softwares, such as
    inculcated by experience, education, training, and our choice of what aspects of the mind we wish to sharpen. And by the level
    of their mental sophistication by not waste time thinking neurally what can be done more efficiently by electrons. We may do
    well to exploit that partnership.

    Yes, I will go ahead and republish that 1989 article in EIC.

    Henry

    Rod Welch wrote:

    > Henry,
    >
    > Doug calls for a "whole new way of thinking and working," as shown in the record
    > on 991222....
    >
    > http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/99/12/22/104523.HTM#3696
    >
    > SDS enables a process of thinking through writing.....
    >
    > http://www.welchco.com/03/00050/01/09/01/02/00030.HTM#3742
    >
    > ....that extends the "alphabetic mind" beyond the limitations of a purely prior
    > oral tradition that existed 2,000 years ago, as set out in the record on
    > 991108.....
    >
    > http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/99/11/08/191947.HTM#L540904
    >
    > Earlier you commented favorably on the prospect that at last, there is progress
    > on strengthening the fundamentals of knowledge work. Naturally, a "new way of
    > thinking" requires moving beyond the "alphabetic mind," so this has been
    > described in the record on 001219....
    >
    > http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/00/12/19/071408.HTM#L941148
    >
    > "Thinking about communicating," discussed in your letter on 010819, leads to
    > powerful methods for advancing civilization, but these methods require people to
    > use them in order to be effective. This takes leadership with a broader vision,
    > discussed with Stuart Harrow at DCMA on 010730.....
    >
    > http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/01/07/30/054920.HTM#LBY0702
    >
    > ....on helping people cross the bridge to a new way of thinking and working, as
    > Doug calls out.
    >
    > Rod
    >
    > Henry van Eyken wrote:
    > >
    > > What a fascinating discussion.
    > >
    > > For what they are worth, I have two, apparently contradictory, comments to
    > > offer, and may add a
    > > third.
    > >
    > > 1. Steven Pinker, linguist and psychologist, now at MIT, doesn't think much of
    > > the Whorfian
    > > hypothesis. Writes he in his 1994 book, "The Language Instinct," that "there
    > > is no scientific
    > > ebidence that languages dramatically shape their speakers' ways of thinking."
    > > (p.58), which is
    > > called, I gather, linguistic determinism.
    > >
    > > 2. There has been around for some years a small book by Prof. Walter Ong, S.J.
    > > named "Orality and
    > > Literacy" (Methuen). Unfortunately, I lent it to somebody and now rely on poor
    > > memory. But literacy
    > > causes different habits of mind than possessed by purely oral societies. One
    > > may project, therefore,
    > > that technology will do so again. Subtitle of the book: "Technologizing the
    > > word." I have to reread
    > > the book again, but I considered it important with respect to what an
    > > on-the-person computer may do
    > > to mode of thinking. (May be different changes in mode of thinking ought be
    > > recognized.) I wrote an
    > > opinion piece twelve years ago for the J.Coll.Sci.Teaching on the subject. I
    > > have been pondering
    > > whether to reproduce it in the new e-journal because it is very much in the
> [...]

    Pinpoint the right security solution for your company- Learn how to add 128- bit encryption and to authenticate your web site with VeriSign's FREE guide!
    http://us.click.yahoo.com/yQix2C/33_CAA/yigFAA/IHFolB/TM