more RE: [unrev-II] Nailing Jello To The Wall

From: Jack Park (jackpark@thinkalong.com)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 08:59:16 PDT

    Another link from the Coakese page is this:
    http://users.wmin.ac.uk/~coakese/KM_and_Sociotech.htm
    It's a description of her forthcoming book _'Knowledge Management in the
    Sociotechnical World: The Graffiti Continues'_

    Here's the bulk of that page. I'm quoting a lot of it here because I think
    that what she is saying is important to the thinking that must go into an
    OHS/DKR project.

    "Knowledge Management has been a major topic for Management academics and
    practitioners alike in the 1990s. It has been defined as the extraction and
    conversion of 'tacit' knowledge on an individual and organisational level
    into 'explicit' knowledge. This explicit knowledge often takes the form of
    specific electronic 'tools' or 'assets' which can be manipulated for
    competitive gain, for example, intranets, groupware and knowledge
    repositories.
    'Tacit' knowledge, on the other hand, is often described as the 'hunches,
    intuition and know-how' of people, or 'skills, routines competencies'.
    There is some scepticism towards the extent to which this often highly
    subjective knowledge and learning can actually be made explicit, and
    feeling that Knowledge Management is no more than a new form of technology.
    Knowledge is much more than technology - it is personal, often dormant or
    unconscious and closely bound up with Learning and Organisation Theory.
    Learning has been described as the way in which an organisation enhances
    its knowledge. If so, how is this done and what is the role of IT/IS within
    this?
    A growing number of studies have called for a more holistic, systemic
    approach to Knowledge. It is not simply a 'tool' or 'resource' so much as a
    social construct. It is a reciprocal, interdependent process of learning
    arising from knowledge transfer and information flow and communication - a
    sociotechnical perspective which amalgamates the 'dualism' of people and
    technology and allows the organisation to adapt to the environment.
    This book will follow on from the premises and issues raised in The New
    SocioTech: Graffiti on The Longwall and will provide further valuable
    information to those whose interest in the subject has been recently
    stimulated. "

    At 05:29 PM 10/23/2001 +0200, you wrote:
    >Thanks for this great post Jack. I browsed through it and I like the
    >approach of attempting to reconcile technology and appreciation. I also
    >need to re-read Pirsig's book...
    >
    >Actually, King's objectives are very similar to the Socio-Technical
    >approach. A 50 year old approach to organizational change which advocates
    >the simultaneous and continuous optimization of the social and technical
    >sides of an organization. Check out the book called The New Socio-Tech:
    ><http://users.wmin.ac.uk/~coakese/graffiti_on_the_long_wall.htm>http://user
    >s.wmin.ac.uk/~coakese/graffiti_on_the_long_wall.htm

    Get your FREE VeriSign guide to security solutions for your web site: encrypting transactions, securing intranets, and more!
    http://us.click.yahoo.com/UnN2wB/m5_CAA/yigFAA/IHFolB/TM