Re: [unrev-II] Intrinsic and Extrinsic Ratings wrt IBIS

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@sun.com)
Date: Thu Nov 01 2001 - 11:18:26 PST

    Peter Jones wrote:

    > And possibly, speeding consensus development yields proportional
    > poverty of
    > knowledge capture for storage for later viewing/auditing.

    That sounds accurate. Whether or not that was the intended effect, I
    don't know.
    I'm inclined to doubt it.

    I suspect that the idea was to render discourse more rational and
    methodical.
    It does that. But the lack of separation between the two kinds of
    arguments,
    and the information content they provide, would make it difficult to
    distinguish
    the "generally useful" knowledge the results from the discussions
    (characteristics
    of different sorts, for example) from the project-specific knowledge
    (why we
    chose the sort we did).

    The ability to distinguish between those when attempting to mine the
    knowledge
    base for information relative to dissimilar projects, vs. attempting to
    access it
    for similar projects, or when simply trying to reconstruct "why did we
    do that".

    Given that separation, I suspect that it would be easier to recognize
    information
    that has long-term value and apply it in other areas.