Re: [ba-ohs-talk] Art, Culture Enable a Culture of Knowledge

Rod.    (01)

I have been watching the Olympics a bit - and forgetting about ice dancing for a moment - it
strikes me how the "now" economy is so much like luge - the time for steering is within that
taken up by the feedback cycle just underlying our consciousness (half a second), i.o.w. no
room for steersmanship. The article points out the danger inherent in this to the economy.
As you say, IT "overwhelms human mental biology to cause continual bumbling."    (02)

A point to consider is the acceleration technology permits in augmentation, but that what is
to be augmented is subject to biological restraints. Those restraints can be lessened, of
course, by humans mutually supporting one another as humans (through good citizenship, etc.).
Homer-Dixon, in his "The Ingenuity Gap," distinguishes between technical and social
ingenuity: "The first helps us solve problems in our physical world, the second helps us
arrange our economic, political and social affairs and design our public and private
institutions to achieve the level and kind of wellbeing we want. He sees social ingenuity as
a critical prerequisite to technical ingenuity whereas Engelbart's appeals to our social
intellect to bring his technical ingenuity to fruition in order to raise the efficacy of
social ingenuity."    (03)

We are living today in the slipstream of technical advance, a dangerous place to be that
leaves too little time for personal reflection. It may lead us into Kurzweil's "The Age of
Spiritual Machines." God forbid.    (04)

At any rate, it is most important to look at augment from both the digital and neural
perspectives. That is why something like Fleabyte needs support. And maybe beter vehicles
than Fleabyte already exist. If so, I'd like to know about them.    (05)

I mentioned a bit about the mechanics of Fleabyte before, and here a bit about content. To
round things out a little, a few words about handling the messages themselves. We have to
take a hard look at journalism - how it is practiced and the forces acting on journalists. We
have to learn how to tell our stories fast and effectively, i.e. such that the gist of them
sticks and assists us in retrieval of detail. Journalism will become an application of
psychology. In other words, we better learn all there is to learn about psychology. Perpetuum
mobile. Und so weiter ...    (06)

Your references to earlier discussions on unrev-ii forum well taken. On the surface of things
we seem to have gone from reflecting to cataloging. Sign of the times?    (07)

Henry    (08)

Rod Welch wrote:    (09)