Re: [ba-ohs-talk] Collaborative Editing / Tracking?

Malcolm Dean wrote:    (01)

>>From the OpenOffice Help File:
>
> Select this command to show recorded changes.
>
>       To access this function...
>
>       Choose Edit - Changes - ShowChoose Edit - Changes - Show
>
> A check mark indicates whether the Show function is active. All recorded
> changes will be visible in the document.
>
> According to the default settings, insertions will be underlined and
> cancellations shown with a line drawn through them. Under Tools - Options -
> Text documents - Changes you can change these settings to fit your needs.
>
> A change is always saved with the following information: The author who made
> the changes is read from the user data entered in OpenOffice.org (Tools -
> Options - OpenOffice.org - User Data). The date and time of the change are
> taken from the system setting. A commentary on the change can be made via
> Edit - Changes - Commentary.    (02)

I was working for Sun when they purchased StarOffice and due to a
trip I was already making to Munich got sent up to Hamburg to review
their technologies. I was very impressed (I mean Very Impressed) with
the approach they were taking to an office suite. They'd written a
complete underlayer framework to the application that communicated
via XML, and they were in the process of modularizing the entire
suite. As many may know, this became the open source OpenOffice suite,
such that any features that aren't there *could* be added or extended
by someone else, ie., by someone in the OHS community. So if their
suite doesn't quite do what we want, it is open source, it is coming
from a company owned (but almost untouched) by Sun, who has almost
completely devowed any proprietary interests in OpenOffice. And its
cross-platform and stable.    (03)

I wonder how hard it would be to hook NexistWiki to OpenOffice? I
believe the APIs are published online.    (04)

Murray    (05)

Murray Altheim                  <http://kmi.open.ac.uk/people/murray/>
Knowledge Media Institute
The Open University, Milton Keynes, Bucks, MK7 6AA, UK    (06)

      One of the sad things about corporations is that despite
      their name they have no corpora, no body responsible for
      their actions. They are therefore free to do whatever is
      the will of those who control them, and can transmogrify
      as necessary, like ghosts, to thwart those who might try.
                                                          --ma    (07)