Re: [ba-unrev-talk] (forw) [WebGuild] Remember: Wednesday Night! Wednesday, June 12 - Jared Spool

As it turns out, I attended this lecture.  I say this because I believe
that if anyone ever gets a chance to hear Jared Spool talk, they should
make every effort to do so.  His talk is witty, powerful, and full of
really useful observations and anecdotes about what Web site design is and
what it should be.    (01)

Cheers
Jack    (02)

At 12:12 PM 6/12/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>FYI -- Grant
>
><snip>    (03)

><snip>
>June 12, 2002 main meeting.
>Topic:
>"Scent of a Web Page - Getting Them to What They Want"
>
>Who:
>Jared Spool - founder of User Interface Engineering
>
>What:
>You work hard providing top-notch content on your site. But will users find
>it? If they don't find it, all that effort is for nothing. What can you do to
>guarantee that users find the content they've come looking for? In this
>entertaining and informative presentation, Jared Spool will show the latest
>research in how designers control whether users find their content or not.
>He'll show how sites do better when they prevent users from needing the
>search engine. He'll also show how exposing the site hierarchy can increase
>the success of the user. Jared will show you the secrets behind successful
>designs from Lands' End, the Bureau of Labor and Statistics, and the BBC.
>You'll see sites where users who say they always use the on-site search
>engines didn't even notice when Search was missing. And you'll see how to
>best use lateral links, bread crumbs, and next and previous. All based on
>up-to-the-minute research on how users actually navigate sites.
<snip>    (04)