Re: [unrev-II] Moving beyond the web...

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 15:40:51 PDT

    Jon Winters wrote:

    > The Guntella kids have some compelling arguments against the gigantic
    > single point of failure that would be the uberserver. (Yahoo being
    > taken down by a ping-flood attack for example)

    That is what I have been thinking of as the "email approach". Where data
    of interest is stored on multiple systems simultaneously. That delivers
    what the Web was designed for in the first place -- survivability
    against any single point of attack. Although I was thinking more in
    terms of defending against server downtime, you (and they) are
    absolutely correct in understanding malicious denial of service as
    exemplifying just such an attack.

    eLerts