Re: [unrev-II] OHS / DKR problem revisited

From: John J. Deneen (JJDeneen@ricochet.net)
Date: Tue Jan 02 2001 - 11:59:42 PST

    Do you know of a working example? Is the following info about the
    Collaborative Writing Engine a possible example?

    The Collaborative Writing Engine is a tool for building essays, poems,
    stories, novels, hypertexts, discussions and as-yet-unheard-of-forms of
    literary produce in a context that allows and invites participation by
    anyone with WWW access.
    http://www.shout.net/sigfried/cwe4/doc_list.cgi

    David L Robinson wrote:

    > At 8:04 -0800 22/12/2000, Garold L. Johnson wrote:
    >

    >> [Garold L. Johnson] The major problems with email all relate to
    >> linking, at least to a first approximation. Since emails have no
    >> unique identifiers, tying even a reply to a specific email much less
    >> a specific reference is difficult since there is nothing unique to
    >> which an email can refer. Hence we end up doing a lot of quoting
    >> because we can't refer to an email uniquely much less in a fine
    >> grained way, and there is no way of knowing how much of the email
    >> traffic any new viewer has.
    >
    >> Egroups assigns a message number to every message it receives, but
    >> that number is not reflected in the email that is sent to the list.
    >> The originator doesn't know it since it isn't assigned until it is
    >> received by egroup.
    >
    > Just a note on the unique identifiers point. E-mail does have a
    > unique identifier its called Message-ID.See
    > http://community.roxen.com/developers/idocs/rfc/rfc2392.html The RFC
    > 2392 also mentions unique identifiers to content (CID). So you could
    > have a MIME e-mail with each paragraph a MIME entity with a unique CID
    > which could easily be cross referenced just like a HTML "A NAME=" Tag.
    > Usually the E-mail body is just one MIME entity as no one has thought
    > about the benefits of having each paragraph a MIME entity. An
    > advantage of using this RFC is standard E-mail clients can be modified
    > so linking to specific parts of a past E-mail would be possible. --
    > David Robinson
    > drobinso@nrg.com.au
    > ICQ# 8955819
    > SMITH'S LAW: No real problem has a solution.
    > Me(I Think): Real Geeks never die. Their E-mail addresses just bounce.
    >
    > Send Urgent messages to urgent@drobinson.com.au The Subject is sent to
    > my Pager.
    >

    > eGroups Sponsor
      [Click Here!]