Re: [unrev-II] Visual stimuli & IBIS methodology

From: Simon Buckingham Shum (sbs@acm.org)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 02:11:54 PST

    >Actually, I note in one of Simon Buckingham Shum's papers in the D3E
    >environment
    ><http://d3e.open.ac.uk/general/negotiating-org-mem/>http://d3e.open.ac.uk/general/negotiating-org-mem/
    >"Negotiating the Construction of Organisational Memories ",
    >that the gIBIS implementation notation shown has a mixed +/- icon for an
    >argument.
    >Interesting.

    Yes, QuestMap allows you to declare an argument as + (Pro) or -
    (Con), or +/- (Neutral Argument)

    In a particular mode (Quicklinking turned off) if a + is linked to an
    Idea via a negative link, then the + is changed to a +/-
    (and vice-versa)

    Other notations use calmer icons (you can turn these off in QMap as
    well), but these ones highlight the gestalt quickly.

    It's designed for very rapid capture. Obviously, if something is a
    Pro to one Idea, it may be a relative Con to others, but unless you
    make those links explicitly (more overhead), it remains there
    displayed as a Pro.

    This move to explicit Pro and Con node types is different to
    'classic' IBIS (possibly it was a marketing ploy!). It's better to
    load the LINKS with the semantics, leaving the nodes neutral to play
    whatever role between 2 nodes that the links infer.

    Simon