Re: [ba-ohs-talk] OHS/DKR Design for KM and Licensing

Jack,    (01)

I see you're interested in the study of Biomimetry of bee hives and ant
colonies relative to OHS network development. So, I assume you're aware of the
Bio-Networking Simulator being developed at UC Irvine for wireless networking
and swarm technology?    (02)

If not, then the Bio-Networking Simulator is a testbed for investigating
various aspects in the Bio-Networking Architecture such as evolution,
adaptability, scalability, survivability and discovery. You can download the
simulator from here:
<  http://netresearch.ics.uci.edu/bionet/resources/simulator/index.html >.    (03)

It's being used to develop:    (04)

- Adaptive networking: Network-aware distributed applications, proactive
self-tuning systems for ubiquitous computing, and custom channel building for
large-scale network systems    (05)

- Infrastructureless networking: Ad-hoc disposable networks; dynamically
forming, self-organizing hierarchy; and precision geo-location and UWB radios
to support sensornets    (06)

- Heterogeneous networking: Heterogeneity of future network services;
hierarchical addressing to simplify switching; and improving TCP/IP with
features developed for User-Level Network Interfaces (ULNI)    (07)

Project Overview    (08)

"It is not difficult to imagine a future where billions of people regularly
access applications running inside the global network as part of their daily
lives. To make this future a reality, network services and applications must
satisfy the following requirements:    (09)

   * they must be able to scale to billions of nodes and users
   * they must be able to adapt to diverse and dynamic conditions in the
     network
   * they must be secure and highly available
   * they should require minimal human configuration and management    (010)

We believe that large scale biological systems, such as the bee or ant colony,
have already developed many of the mechanisms needed to satisfy these
requirements.  We have identified several key principles and mechanisms in
these biological systems, and we are now applying them to the design of network
services and applications.    (011)

Over millions of years of evolution, large scale biological systems, such as
the bee or ant colony, have developed mechanisms that allow them to scale,
adapt, and survive. Consider the bee colony. Bee colonies scale to a large
number of bees because all activities of the hive are carried out without
centralized control. Bees act autonomously, influenced by local conditions and
local interactions with other bees. When building the hive, bees are guided
only by the structure of the partially completed hexagonal cells around them.
There is no master bee that controls the building of the hive. The bee colony
also adapts to dynamic conditions, often to optimize its food gain relative to
energy expenditure. When the amount of honey in the hive is low, a large number
of food gathering bees leave the hive to gather nectar from the flowers in the
area. When the hive is nearly full of honey, most bees remain in the hive and
rest. The bee colony is survivable because it is not dependent on any single
bee, not even the queen bee. Therefore, the colony can still survive after a
predator kills a number of bees. In fact, the desirable characteristics of the
bee colony, scalability, adaptability, and survivability, are not present in
any single bee. Rather, they emerge from the collective actions and
interactions of all the bees in the colony.    (012)

We believe that the challenges faced by future network applications have
already been overcome in large scale biological systems and that future network
applications will benefit by adopting key biological principles and mechanisms.    (013)

The Bio-Networking Architecture is a paradigm as well as middleware for the
design and implementation of scalable, adaptive, and survivable/available
network applications. The paradigm is based on the principles and mechanisms
that allow biological systems to scale, adapt, and survive. While the paradigm
guides the design of a network application, the middleware aids the
implementation the application by providing software components, namely
cyber-entities and Bio-networking platforms. Cyber-entities are autonomous
mobile agents that are used to implement network applications. Bio-networking
platforms provide execution environments and support services for the
cyber-entities."    (014)

Jack Park wrote:    (015)